What does hip rocking tell me about my partner’s sexual arousal?

Emily Nagoski
Emily Nagoski on behalf of Good In Bed

When you’re having sex, telling the difference between real hip rocking and fake hip rocking takes careful attention. Earlier in arousal, hips move less rhythmically and less reliably. If your partner is a hip mover, you may notice a kind of rolling, searching motion, like their pelvis is feeling around in the dark for the light switch. (How’s that for an unsexy simile?) But as he or she becomes increasingly aroused and myotonia (involuntary muscle contractions) takes over, the pelvic movements become [H1] more purposeful, more rhythmic, more thrusting. Don’t mistake size of rocking for intensity of rocking. Small movements can be just as indicative of arousal as big movements; it’s a matter of the tension in the muscles, not the external, behavioral manifestation of that tension.

The Good in Bed Guide to Female Orgasms

The Good in Bed Guide to Female Orgasms

Want to learn how to achieve 487 different kinds of orgasms?If so, you’re reading the wrong guidebook. Despite what many in the media would have you believe, there’s no such thing as a rainbow...

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

3 Amazing Health Benefits of Masturbation
3 Amazing Health Benefits of Masturbation3 Amazing Health Benefits of Masturbation3 Amazing Health Benefits of Masturbation3 Amazing Health Benefits of Masturbation
It's one of the best—and easiest—ways to get to know your body. Whether you're single or in a relationship, you shouldn’t shy away from self-pleasure....
Should a Woman on Hormone Therapy for Low Libido have Annual Mammogram?
Why Should I Share Sexual Fantasies With My Partner?
How Can I Boost My Sexual Drive?
How Can I Boost My Sexual Drive?