Can I resistance train every day, or should I take days off?

While you can resistance train everyday, for most people it may offer no additional benefits toward reaching their goal when compared to training only three to five days per week.  Generally, it is recommended to take planned days off from resistance training in order to allow the body to recover from the stress of the workouts.  However, depending on your goal and experience level, it may be okay to resistance train up to six times per week.  For example, if you are a bodybuilder using a split-routine in which each body part is trained two times per week, then you will be required to train six times per week.  For strength improvements, research indicates that optimum training frequency is three to five times per week, with no significant differences between three times and five times.  Therefore, for most individuals, resistance training three to five times per week is sufficient for achieving benefits from their resistance training program.

Continue Learning about Resistance Training

Resistance Is Far From Futile...It's the Best
Jeri Ryan, as the Seven of Nine Borg in Star Trek: Voyager, claimed resistance was futile. Turned out not to be the case. In space, and right here on ...
Can resistance training benefit the brain?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
For many years, experts have been touting the benefits of aerobic activity on the brain. Accordi...
Can resistance training improve my posture?
Yes, resistance training can help to improve posture, provided that the exercises you perform are st...
How do I perform suspension training?
Provided there is a stable anchor point available above head level for you to attach the suspension ...