What triggers hedonistic eating?

Marjorie Nolan Cohn

Hedonistic eating is emotional eating; it is driven by the need for pleasure not hunger. When eating is motivated by pleasure, rather than hunger, in the brain reward chemical signals are activated which leads to overeating. The phenomenon ultimately affects weight and may be a major factor in the rise of obesity.

Hedonic hunger’ refers to the desire to eat for pleasure, and to enjoy the taste, rather than the body’s energy needs. For example, desiring and eating a piece of cake even after a filling meal is generally driven by pleasure and not by hunger. The physiological process underlying hedonistic eating is not fully understood, but it is likely that hormones regulating reward mechanisms in the brain, like the hormone ghrelin, are involved.

Continue Learning about Psychology of Weight Loss

what kind of person is an avoider ?
In anyone who's overweight—whether by a little or a lot—we can see the relationship between why we e...
what role does psychology play in weight management ?
Jay Morgan, NASM Elite TrainerJay Morgan, NASM Elite Trainer
When individuals look for guidance on weight management they seem to look at only the physical scien...
how does negative self talk affect me ?
how does negative self talk affect me ?
how friends influence your health
how friends influence your health