What increases my risk for psoriasis?

Psoriasis affects both men and women of all ages although most people develop psoriasis as adults. The most significant risk factor for psoriasis is a family history of the condition. You are more likely to develop psoriasis if someone in your immediate family has it. As many as one third of the people with psoriasis may have a blood relative with the condition.

Environmental factors also are important. People who live in colder climates are more likely to develop psoriasis and often develop the condition earlier in life. Other factors that may influence your psoriasis risk include ethnicity. Psoriasis is less common in African-Americans and is rare in native ethnic groups from North and South America.

The medical history of your family is thought to be a major contributing factor to psoriasis development. Up to a third of the population with psoriasis is related to someone else with the skin disease. Factors that affect your immune system health may also increase your risk of psoriasis as well. Specifically, smoking or having an obese body weight puts you at risk. Also those who are prone to illness, infection or stress are more likely to develop psoriasis, as are those with HIV. Skin tone may also affect your risk, as psoriasis occurs more often in those with fair skin.

Continue Learning about Plaque Psoriasis

My Story, My Diagnosis: Toni's Story
My Story, My Diagnosis: Toni's Story
When she was eight years old, Toni was diagnosed with psoriasis. As an adult, she was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis. In this video, she shares he...
What are the symptoms of plaque psoriasis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
The symptoms of plaque psoriasis include thick, raised patches of dry skin lesions (plaques) anywher...
6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try
6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try
Find out how you can manage your psoriasis on a daily basis.
Does Having Psoriatic Arthritis Increase My Risk for Having Other Forms of Arthritis?