Is it okay to use mouthwashes with alcohol in them if I am pregnant?

There is not enough information to determine if pregnant women can safely use mouthwashes with alcohol. Pregnant women should not drink alcohol because of the risk of fetal alcohol syndrome. However, mouthwash that contains alcohol is not swallowed -- only swished in the mouth for 30 seconds and then spat out. Nonetheless, some dentists advise not to use mouthwash with alcohol in it because it might cause dryness in the mouth and teeth.
If you are pregnant, be sure to let your dentist know. Your dentist can advise you whether you need a mouthwash and what kind of mouthwash to use depending on your oral health needs. If you need help controlling plaque, your dentist may recommend an antimicrobial mouth rinse.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy and Oral Health

What precautions are taken if I need a dental x-ray when I am pregnant?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
A radiograph may be needed for dental treatment or a dental emergency that can't wait until after th...
Can morning sickness affect my dental health?
If you vomit your stomach acids can damage the enamel of your teeth. The"acid challenge" temporarily...
If I am pregnant, should I skip my dental cleaning?
Visiting a dentist or periodontist at least once while you are pregnant is recommended. Not seeing a...
Can periodontal treatment during pregnancy cause problems?
Treating periodontal disease may reduce the risk of premature delivery.