Is it okay to use mouthwashes with alcohol in them if I am pregnant?

If you are pregnant, be sure to let your dentist know. Your dentist can advise you whether you need a mouthwash and what kind of mouthwash to use depending on your oral health needs. If you need help controlling plaque, your dentist may recommend an antimicrobial mouth rinse.
There is not enough information to determine if pregnant women can safely use mouthwashes with alcohol. Pregnant women should not drink alcohol because of the risk of fetal alcohol syndrome. However, mouthwash that contains alcohol is not swallowed -- only swished in the mouth for 30 seconds and then spat out. Nonetheless, some dentists advise not to use mouthwash with alcohol in it because it might cause dryness in the mouth and teeth.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy and Oral Health

is it safe to see a dentist while pregnant ?
Make sure you have an oral fixation for at least a few minutes a day to help prevent infections that...
can pregnancy make me susceptible to gingivitis ?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Some women develop a condition known as “pregnancy gingivitis,” an inflammation of the gums that can...
what dental medications are not safe to take if i am pregnant ?
You should avoid taking sedatives in the class of drugs called benzodiazepines. These include midazo...
can stress while i am pregnant affect my oral health ?
People who experience stress, whether it is financial, work, or family-related, are at increased the...