Does my dentist need to know if I am trying to become pregnant?

If you are planning to have a baby, both your doctor and your dentist should know. Although you might not be pregnant, you should take steps just in case you are. X-rays may be safe at this point as long as you wear lead shielding over your abdomen. But during pregnancy, X-rays are discouraged unless there is a more serious dental problem. If you find out you are pregnant, tell your dentist. If you need a procedure done, it's probably better to wait until the second or third trimester, after critical stages of the baby's development.

If you are not yet pregnant but are trying to become pregnant, now is the time to pay close attention to your teeth and gums. That’s because pregnancy -- and the changing hormone levels that occur with it -- can make some dental problems worse. Taking good care of your mouth contributes to your overall health. If your mouth is healthy, it’s more likely that your baby’s mouth will be healthy too. Talk to your dentist if you are trying to become pregnant.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy and Oral Health

If I am in my third trimester, what can I expect at my next dental visit?
During your third trimester, you should tell your dentist if you have had any pregnancy complication...
Can morning sickness affect my dental health?
If you vomit your stomach acids can damage the enamel of your teeth. The"acid challenge" temporarily...
How do I treat dry mouth if I'm pregnant?
A dentist or doctor can determine if dry mouth, or xerostomia, is the result of dehydration, hypergl...
Can smoking while pregnant cause problems with the baby's oral health?
Pregnant women who smoke may significantly increase the risk of oral health defects in their unborn ...