Can peppermint oil cause an allergic reaction?

Peppermint oil can indeed cause an allergic reaction in those sensitive to it, whether used internally or externally. In rare cases it can even cause anaphylactic shock when taken internally, causing difficulty swallowing and breathing, tongue and lip swelling, and ulcers or blisters in the mouth. Anyone showing symptoms of anaphylaxis after consuming peppermint should seek medical help immediately. Peppermint oil has also caused dermatitits when used topically, leaving a rash or hives. 

Continue Learning about Peppermint

How does peppermint reduce bloating?
Indigestion is one of the most common causes of bloating. Peppermint improves the flow of bile to di...
What are the health benefits of peppermint oil?
Peppermint oil has anti-inflammatory properties and soothes the nerves. Rub into the temples and for...
What is peppermint oil used for?
Sarah LoBiscoSarah LoBisco
Peppermint oil is most revered for its ability to calm upset bellies and support digestion in herbal...
When can I use peppermint oil for headaches if I'm breastfeeding?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
Topical peppermint oil for headaches can be used by women who are nursing -- but not while you a...