What are the symptoms of pancreatitis?

Symptoms of pancreatitis include abdominal and back pain. You may notice that the pain in your abdomen or back that disappears as you change positions. There may be tenderness over your pancreas or in your back.

Stool change, nausea, and weight loss are also common with chronic pancreatitis. Weight loss and stool change may be attributed to the fact that that over time your pancreas may stop producing digestive enzymes. Without enzymes to assist in proper digestion, your body will not be able to absorb nutrients. Failing to get nutrients out of the food you eat leads to malnutrition and excess fat in your stool.

Steven V. Gurland, MD
Severe pain is the main symptom of pancreatitis. it is usually abdominal but may also radiate to your back. Nausea and vomiting are common as well.
The signs and symptoms of pancreatitis depend on whether the inflammation of the pancreas is acute (new) or chronic (ongoing, old). Acute pancreatitis may present with sudden pain in the abdomen above the belly button, vomiting, belching, constipation, and possibly shock. If the condition is chronic, the person may present with jaundice (yellowing of the skin and whites of eyes), diarrhea, and mild to moderate pain that radiates or moves to the back. (This answer provided for NATA by the University of Montana Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Pancreatitis

Can pancreatitis cause diabetes?
dLife - It's YOUR Diabetes Life!dLife - It's YOUR Diabetes Life!
If you have chronic pancreatitis, it can have a major impact on diabetes management as well as your ...
What is chronic pancreatitis?
Chronic pancreatitis is inflammation of the pancreas that lasts for a long period of time, causing i...
How do other illnesses affect chronic pancreatitis?
The most common diseases that can cause chronic pancreatitis are alcoholism and gallbladder disease....
Should I talk to my doctor about my pancreatitis symptoms?
Talk to your doctor about pancreatitis symptoms like severe abdominal pain, difficulty breathing, de...