How long will pancreatitis last?

Mild cases of acute pancreatitis may resolve on its own without treatment after a few days of discomfort. However, most cases of acute pancreatitis will require a stay in the hospital of at least a few days where you do not eat and receive intravenous fluids. Depending on the severity of the acute pancreatitis and if there are complications, you could take weeks to recover.

Chronic pancreatitis never goes away and often worsens over time due to the deterioration of your pancreatic tissue. Steps can be taken to alleviate and treat symptoms, but there is not a high rate of success with totally alleviating chronic pancreatitis symptoms.

Continue Learning about Pancreatitis

What is my life expectancy with pancreatitis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Life expectancy with chronic pancreatitis may be lower than for people without the condition; resear...
How do other illnesses affect acute pancreatitis?
Other conditions raise an individual's risk of having acute pancreatitis. These includehigh blood le...
How common is chronic pancreatitis?
Chronic pancreatitis occurs between 1.6 and 23 cases per 100,000 individuals throughout the world. I...
Does acute pancreatitis affect children differently than adults?
Acute pancreatitis rarely affects children. Usually, the cause of this condition in children is unid...