How long does a pacemaker battery run?

The battery life of a pacemaker depends on the type of pacemaker and the year it was made. The pacer rate setting and how often the pacemaker is working are factors in how long the battery will last. With that said, the average pacemaker battery lasts for 5 to 10 years. It is important to discuss this with your cardiologist and to maintain regular appointments.
Omid Hajiseyed Javadi, MD
Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular)
The life of a pacemaker battery depends on what it’s being used for. In this video, Omid Javadi, MD, of Good Samaritan Hospital, describes the circumstances in which pacemaker batteries last the longest -- and the shortest.

Continue Learning about Pacemaker

When is a pacemaker needed?
Ravi K. Sureddi, MDRavi K. Sureddi, MD
A patient needs a pacemaker when he or she has problems from a slow heart rate. In this video, Ravi ...
How can I find out if my pacemaker is working properly?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
After pacemaker implantation (surgical insertion of a small device to regulate your heart rhythm), y...
How Is Sensor Technology Changing Healthcare?
Advances in Wireless Health
Advances in Wireless Health