What do calorie-free and low-calorie food labels mean?

Toby Smithson

A food product labeled low calorie indicates a product with 40 calories or lower. A food product labeled calorie free indicates that item has little to no calories and will not have an effect on your body. Be sure to note the serving size on the label and amount of servings per container so you aren’t misled about a lower calorie food or beverage by splurging and consuming more than you expected.

• Calorie free means that the product has fewer than 5 calories per serving or another designated amount (make sure to note the size of the serving).
  • Low calorie means 40 calories or less per serving.
  • Light or lite means that the food has one-third less calories, 50% less fat, or 50% less sodium than the food with which it is being compared, usually the full-calorie version of the same food.
  • Less and reduced (as in fat or sugar) mean that the food is at least 25% lower in calories or other ingredients compared with the full-calorie or regular version. When these words are used on a label, the actual percentages must also be included, for example, “50% less salt” or “fat reduced by 25%.”

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Beware Hidden Sugars in So-called Healthy Foods
Rob Lowe’s remake of the Bad Seed fills you with horror as you (and he) realize his sweet daughter Emma (Mckenna Grace) is actually the personificatio...
What is food's glycemic index (GI)?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
How quickly blood sugar levels rise after eating a particular type of food is an effect referred to ...
What should I eat occasionally on the Traffic Light eating style?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Here is a list of foods that you should eat weekly or sometimes when following the Traffic Light e...
How Can I Stop My Food Cravings?
How Can I Stop My Food Cravings?