What types of meat should I eat if I want to lose weight?

Manuel Villacorta
Some meats are fattier than others, and varieties break down into very lean meats, lean meats, medium-fat meats, and high-fat meats. As a general rule for losing weight, I suggest choosing very lean meats most of the time and choosing lean meat some of the time. When consuming lean meat, make heart-healthy choices like salmon, tuna, and tofu. Limit your intake of medium- and high-fat meats as much as you can.

My biggest rule for meats, which allows people to eat what they enjoy most, is to stay with lean meats whenever possible. They have fewer saturated fats, which cause inflammation that leads to a host of diseases. The trick is to check the meats you buy for fat content. Many dieters only eat chicken and turkey, which can get boring fast. But guess what: if you buy lean red meat, you can enjoy that too. I always look for a label that says "less than 4% fat" or "96% lean" on my beef. Then I feel free to make burgers, spaghetti sauce, whatever I'm craving.
Eating Free: The Carb-Friendly Way to Lose Inches, Embrace Your Hunger, and Keep Weight Off for Good

Eating Free reveals why the prevailing wisdom on weight loss--low-calorie, no carbs, high-intensity exercise--sharply clashes with the facts of human biology and human nature, setting dieters up for...

Continue Learning about Nutrition and Weight Loss

Burn More Fat with These Breakfast Foods
You can give your body a little fat-burning advantage by including items like these in your morning meal: eggs, yogurt, and whole-grain cereal. Break...
What percentage of fat, carbs, and protein make up a healthy diet?
Natasha Turner, NDNatasha Turner, ND
The Glyci-Med style of eating is incorporating a Mediterranean diet while also eating for glycemic b...
7 Effortless Eating Hacks for Summer Weight Loss
7 Effortless Eating Hacks for Summer Weight Loss7 Effortless Eating Hacks for Summer Weight Loss7 Effortless Eating Hacks for Summer Weight Loss7 Effortless Eating Hacks for Summer Weight Loss
Shed pounds without ever having to break a sweat.
What Are the Healthcare Costs of Obesity?