Why do I wake up feeling like I haven't slept?

There are several causes of unrestful sleep, such as obstructive sleep apnea, medications, especially overuse of sleep aids, stress, depression, anxiety, and alcohol. Symptoms of sleep apnea can be snoring and periods when you stop breathing in your sleep, causing you to wake up suddenly due to the fact that your brain was not getting enough oxygen. Doing this several times per night can cause severe sleep disruption, which leads to unrestful sleep. Medication can affect your sleep center in the same way alcohol does.

Continue Learning about Sleep Disorders

Get a Good Night's Sleep
Get a Good Night's Sleep
With some major exceptions, sleep is a lot like sex. It's something you really look forward to, and it makes you feel great when you're done. Most imp...
Is obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) a serious health condition?
John Van der Werff, DDSJohn Van der Werff, DDS
It can lead to serious health problems like heart problems, hypertension, and death. If someone thin...
Why are circadian rhythms important?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
Circadian rhythms are not only important for your sleep cycle, but your metabolism as well. Circadia...
Is it safe for me to drive if I have excessive daytime sleepiness (ESD)?
Treating the cause of your excessive daytime sleepiness (ESD) should return you to normal functionin...