What causes stomach pain during my menstrual cycle?

During menstruation, the uterus contracts to shed the uterine lining, which may cause pain. The body’s hormones may also cause bloating and alter bowel function.

Patricia Geraghty, NP
Women's Health

Abdominal pain during the menstrual cycle can have more than one cause. In a normal menstrual cycle a chemical prostiglandin is released in higher levels. This causes contractions of the smooth muscle of the uterine wall and assists in the sloughing to the lining which then becomes the menstrual flow. The prostiglandins can also affect smooth muscle in other parts of the body, including the intestines. The contractions of the intestines are sometimes felt as painful.

Another source of abdominal pain during menses is the brain misinterpreting the source of the pain. The sensory nerves of the abdomen are not highly organized. Pain messages from the uterine cramps that occur during menses may "read" as pain in the abdomen by the brain.

Finally, an abnormal source of abdominal pain during menses may occur if endometriosis is present. Endometrial implants on the intestines grow and then bleed with menstrual flow. The presence of active bleeding in this tissue causes irritation and pain.

Continue Learning about Menstruation

The One Tampon Complication Can Be Life-Threatening
The tampon was invented in 1929 by Dr. Earl Haas, and many women immediately found it to be a more convenient option. But having your period was a tab...
How much blood will I lose during my menstruation cycle?
West Valley Medical CenterWest Valley Medical Center
On average, women lose about 100 milliliters (or 3.38ozs) of blood during their menstrual cycles.
5 Ways to Relieve Menstrual Cramps
5 Ways to Relieve Menstrual Cramps5 Ways to Relieve Menstrual Cramps5 Ways to Relieve Menstrual Cramps5 Ways to Relieve Menstrual Cramps
Painlessly surf the crimson wave.
Is It Safe to Be on Birth Control to Regulate My Period?