How many years will my hot flashes last?

Patricia Geraghty, NP
Women's Health
For many years we told women that hot flashes would last on average for 5 years. This is true, when we look at all women. However, when we look at only the women who experience hot flashes, and who are really the women most likely to be asking this question, the answer changes. Women with hot flashes are like to experience the symptoms on average for 7.4 years. If a woman experiences hot flashes even before her periods stop, she is likely to continue to have hot flashes for 11 years. Those women who only begin to experience hot flashes after stopping periods have symptoms for an average of 3.4 years.
Judy Caplan
This is variable depending on many factors. Some women experience almost no hot flashes while others suffer greatly. Some experience them for a few months, others for many years. The duration of your hot flashes will be determined by your hormonal levels, genetics, diet, exercise, and stress level. Everyone's case is different. If you find your hot flashes are unbearable, talk to your OBGYN about the options available.
The average woman can expect to experience moderate-to-severe hot flashes for about 5 years. Around 20% will continue to have flashes even longer (perhaps forever). 

Continue Learning about Menopause

Natural Ways to Ease Menopause Symptoms
Natural Ways to Ease Menopause Symptoms
Menopause, the time in a woman’s life when her menstrual cycle stops, typically starts after age 45. “The change,” as it’s commonly called, happens wh...
What is menopausal bleeding?
Chippenham Hospital - HCA VirginiaChippenham Hospital - HCA Virginia
Post-menopausal bleeding is a serious concern and can indicate a uterine abnormality.
5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause
5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause
Even though your body is changing, there are proven ways to drop those unwanted pounds.
How Does Menopause Affect My Risk of Heart Disease?