What foods and drinks should I avoid to prevent hot flashes?

Dr. Julia Schlam Edelman
OBGYN (Obstetrician & Gynecologist)

Whether it is consumed in the form of beer, wine, hard liquor or a mixed drink, alcohol is almost certain to bring on hot flashes or night sweats. Decreasing the amount of alcohol consumed reduces the frequency and severity of hot flashes and night sweats.

When it comes to keeping hot flashes away during menopause, what you put into your body is just as important as how you dress it. Hot beverages, spicy foods, caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol can all instigate hot flashes, says JoAnn Manson, MD, DrPH, chief of preventive medicine at Brigham and Women's Hospital. Keeping a diary of what you were doing when your hot flash occurred can help you identify your triggers. For instance, if hot flashes always follow your morning coffee or tea, switch to iced tea. If sweat sessions still plague you, it could be the caffeine, so you may want to try decaf coffee or tea instead. Keep a glass or bottle of ice-cold water on hand at all times to drink throughout the day.

Continue Learning about Menopause

The Best Foods to Ease Menopause Symptoms
Hot flashes aren’t the only unwelcome part of menopause—the change also brings plenty of unsolicited advice. Friends and relatives who have already go...
How can I relieve stress during menopause?
Meditation, relaxation therapy, biofeedback, guided imagery, and other forms of stress   reduction, ...
8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
How Does Menopause Affect My Risk of Heart Disease?