What foods and drinks should I avoid to prevent hot flashes?

Dr. Julia Schlam Edelman
OBGYN (Obstetrician & Gynecologist)

Whether it is consumed in the form of beer, wine, hard liquor or a mixed drink, alcohol is almost certain to bring on hot flashes or night sweats. Decreasing the amount of alcohol consumed reduces the frequency and severity of hot flashes and night sweats.

When it comes to keeping hot flashes away during menopause, what you put into your body is just as important as how you dress it. Hot beverages, spicy foods, caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol can all instigate hot flashes, says JoAnn Manson, MD, DrPH, chief of preventive medicine at Brigham and Women's Hospital. Keeping a diary of what you were doing when your hot flash occurred can help you identify your triggers. For instance, if hot flashes always follow your morning coffee or tea, switch to iced tea. If sweat sessions still plague you, it could be the caffeine, so you may want to try decaf coffee or tea instead. Keep a glass or bottle of ice-cold water on hand at all times to drink throughout the day.

Continue Learning about Menopause

Menopause and Sex
Menopause and Sex
News flash. Remember the umpteen stories you've read about how women's sex drive goes into reverse once she enters her perimenopause years (typically,...
How can I prepare to discuss menopause concerns with my doctor?
Menopause symptoms are different for everyone. Your doctor can talk to you better when you have a li...
8 Changes That Come With Menopause
8 Changes That Come With Menopause8 Changes That Come With Menopause8 Changes That Come With Menopause8 Changes That Come With Menopause
Are you having sleeping problems? Hot flashes? Mood swings? Here’s what you need to know.
What Causes Hot Flashes?
What Causes Hot Flashes?