Is thinning hair a symptom of menopause?

Patricia Geraghty, NP
Women's Health
Some women experience thinning hair with menopause. The balance of estrogen and testosterone reverse after menopause. The excess in testosterone like hormones can cause hair to thin. However, other changes in health need to be considered first. Nutrition deficits in protein and fatty acids cause hair loss. Some medications such as beta blockers and statin drugs can cause hair loss. Endocrine problems such as thyroid disease cause hair loss. The auto-immune disease lupis can cause hair loss. Cancers may also cause hair loss. These other sources of hair loss inevitably have other symptoms along with hair loss. A discussion with your health provider and some testing is needed to clarify the situation.

Women can experience thinning hair as a symptom of menopause when hormone levels begin to change. If you notice that your hair is thinning, talk to your doctor. Any significant changes in your body need to be discussed with your doctor. There are treatments available and your doctor can help.

You can bet your brush on it! You might come to regret all those jokes you made about your Dad’s or brother’s receding hairlines because during and after menopause, women may experience thinning of their hair all over or just in the front. Testosterone’s metabolite DHT (dihydrotestosterone) is the hair-thinning culprit in this case. As the hormone estrogen drops, the hormone testosterone can rise in proportion to the remaining estrogen. The net result causes hair to thin.

Continue Learning about Menopause

The Surprising Health Conditions That Strike After Menopause
Hot flashes, irregular periods, sleep disturbances, mood changes—these symptoms can combine to make menopause an uncomfortable experience. But once it...
Why am I having trouble with my memory during menopause?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
You may be having trouble with your memory during menopause as a result of a decrease in serum estro...
5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause
5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause
Even though your body is changing, there are proven ways to drop those unwanted pounds.
When Should I See a Doctor for Menopause Symptoms?