How can I keep cool to help prevent hot flashes?

Julia Schlam Edelman
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
Hot weather triggers hot flashes, as does a warm room. Sometimes even slight increases in your body's core temperature can trigger a hot flash. Here are some suggestions for keeping cool:
  • Set the thermostat at a lower temperature.
  • Open a window.
  • If you're feeling hot, sip a cold drink.
  • Wear layers of light clothing. A sleeveless cotton shell under a shirt, sweater, or jacket works well. The outer layer can be peeled off, then replaced if a chill follows.
  • Choose loose-fitting cotton clothing, which breathes and is more comfortable.
  • Try using a personal fan, whether electric or hand-held.
  • Be Koool Strips are another option. The small strips adhere to the skin and provide local cooling for about eight hours. They may be purchased over the counter at a pharmacy.

Continue Learning about Menopause

Hot Flashes, Night Sweats, and More
Hot Flashes, Night Sweats, and More
Feel like the only thing that fluctuates more than your hormones is the consensus on hormone therapy? The truth is, hormone therapy—used to manage men...
How can I manage insomnia that occurs during menopause?
If you are having trouble sleeping, your menopausal symptoms might be to blame but that’s not always...
8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
When Should I See a Doctor for Menopause Symptoms?