Why is it difficult to stay asleep during menopause?

Patricia Geraghty, NP
Women's Health
The fluctuating hormones and then the decrease in the hormones estrogen and progesterone contribute to sleep problems. Many if not most of the final menstrual cycles occur without ovulation and thus without the post-ovulation hormone progesterone. We do know that progesterone causes sleepiness. It is possible that the reduction in progesterone even though menstrual cycles have not ceased can contribute to sleep problems early in the menopause transition. More research needs to be done on this.
Over three-quarters of women in true menopause (which also can hit anywhere from ages 40 to 55) have hot flashes caused by the spiking and falling of estrogen and progesterone levels that actually wake the brain during sleep and can be accompanied by night sweats. So, while you’re still losing the hormones that help you fall asleep, you’re also waking frequently and having a hard time falling back to sleep. In fact, having problems maintaining sleep is one of the early signs of menopause.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Menopause

Alternative Treatments for Menopause
Alternative Treatments for Menopause
In 2002, the Women’s Health Initiative found that the risks of Premarin and Provera treatment for menopause outweighed the benefits. Since that time, ...
Can I get pregnant while in perimenopause?
Patricia Geraghty, NPPatricia Geraghty, NP
The end of fertility, the ability to become pregnant, is very difficult to determine. Although unlik...
8 Changes That Come With Menopause
8 Changes That Come With Menopause8 Changes That Come With Menopause8 Changes That Come With Menopause8 Changes That Come With Menopause
Are you having sleeping problems? Hot flashes? Mood swings? Here’s what you need to know.
Can I Tell When a Hot Flash Will Be Coming?