What can I do to manage my epilepsy?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

There are many things you can do to manage your seizure disorder, also known as epilepsy, on a daily basis. Working with your doctor to find a treatment that addresses your symptoms is the most important thing you can do, since about 80 percent of people with epilepsy will be able to control their seizures to some degree with currently available treatments. If you have seizures frequently, you might have to stop driving until you have gone for a specific, state-mandated period of time without a seizure. You might also need to avoid certain activities that put you at risk for injury in the event of a seizure, such as operating heavy machinery or participating in certain sports, such as swimming. Some people with epilepsy may benefit from making changes to their diet, such as reducing carbohydrates and avoiding alcohol. Getting enough sleep may help control your epilepsy symptoms, since sleep deprivation can trigger seizures. Many people find that joining an epilepsy support group helps them deal with the emotional and practical issues that are involved with coping with the disorder.

Continue Learning about Living With Epilepsy (Living With Seizures)

what are some impacts of epilepsy on daily life ?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Even when it is controlled, epilepsy can affect a person's daily life because it is so unpredictable...
what are seizure assistance dogs ?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Seizure assistance dogs are dogs that are specially trained to help people with epilepsy. They bark ...
what is it like to live with epilepsy ?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Beth Jacques, 45, first began having seizures at the age of 13. "I would zone in and out at various ...
what is the benefit of having a seizure assistance dog ?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
The benefit of having a seizure assistance dog is that with seizure assistance dogs by their side, p...