Is it safe to exercise if my blood glucose level is high?

A person with diabetes whose blood sugar is very high or who feels dehydrated or ill should hold off exercising until their blood sugar is closer to target.

Being able to exercise with high blood glucose depends on how high and how much insulin you have on board. If your blood glucose is higher than 300 mg/dl, you should not exercise until you have taken some fast-acting insulin and your blood glucose level is below 250 mg/dl. The problem is this: If your glucose is high and you don't have enough insulin in your body to use the glucose, your cells will continue to signal they need glucose for fuel, and your liver will continue to put out that glucose. Without insulin to let the glucose into the cells, the glucose keeps building up in your blood, pushing your blood glucose levels higher and higher.

If you have enough insulin available, exercise may actually help lower your glucose. In fact, many athletes raise their blood glucose before exercise on purpose to create a bit of a buffer so they won't go low during their activity.

Continue Learning about Living with Diabetes

Your Diabetes Team
Your Diabetes Team
The best way to manage diabetes? Build your healthcare team. Diabetes is a complex disease that affects several systems in your body — so it takes a v...
If I have diabetes and take the pill, should I do anything special?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
If you use the pill or other hormonal contraceptives: Check your blood glucose levels frequently,...
How much medication should I pack when traveling if I have diabetes?
If you are planning to travel and have diabetes, pack extra medications. Traveling for a week? Pack ...
Will There Be a Cure for Diabetes?
Will There Be a Cure for Diabetes?