When should a woman become pregnant after breast cancer?

Because of the well-established link between estrogen levels and growth of breast cancer cells, many doctors advise breast cancer survivors not to become pregnant for at least 2 years after treatment. This would allow any early return of the cancer to be diagnosed, which in turn could affect a woman's decision to become pregnant. But this 2-year wait period is not based on strong scientific evidence, and earlier pregnancy may not be harmful. Although few studies have been done, nearly all have found that pregnancy does not increase the risk of recurrence after successful treatment of breast cancer.
Women are advised to discuss their risk of recurrence with their doctors. In some cases, counseling can help women with the complex issues and uncertainties about motherhood and breast cancer survivorship.

Continue Learning about Living With Breast Cancer

Can psychological counseling help me cope with breast cancer?
Dr. Rossi DavisDr. Rossi Davis
Yes, psychological counseling can help a person cope with their diagnosis of cancer. The therapist c...
Should I avoid soy if I've had breast cancer?
dLife - It's YOUR Diabetes Life!dLife - It's YOUR Diabetes Life!
The topic of soy foods and cancer remains controversial. Soy foods are rich in estrogen-like substan...
Is High Touch Healthcare Still Important?
How Can I Lower My Risk of Breast Cancer?