How do I prevent overdeveloping my quads when working out?

The best way to prevent the quads from becoming overdeveloped is to focus on exercises which activate and focus on the gluteal and hamstring region. Exercises like squats, side lying leg raises, lateral tubing walks, and Romanian  deadlifts  will target the posterior chain of the leg and help ensure the quads don’t become overly developed.
Sadie Lincoln
Sadie Lincoln on behalf of barre3
Fitness
Avoiding overdeveloped muscle groups starts with a balanced approach to exercise. You can think of the body as a whole being that works most optimally when every part is worked equally. In regards to the quadriceps, it is important to work both the front and back of the leg. For every series you do focused on the quadriceps, you should do another series focused on the hamstrings and back body. In our barre3 classes, we focus a lot on the back body to counterbalance all of the running, biking and quadricep building exercises our clients do outside the studio.

Continue Learning about Leg Exercises

Bye-Bye Saddlebags: How to Slim Your Outer Thighs
Saddlebags sure are handy when you're riding a horse out on the trail or zooming along on a Harley, but when you're trying to slide into your favorite...
How should I do squats?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, knees slightly bent, with your arms by your sides. Slowly...
How can I decrease tension in my hamstrings?
A great way to decrease tension and soreness in the hamstrings is to perform self-myofascial rel...
Exercises for Shapely Legs and Butt
Exercises for Shapely Legs and Butt