Is there a link between smoking and heartburn?

Smoking can cause heartburn, and here's how: When you eat food, it travels down the esophagus from the mouth to meet up with the stomach pouch. The stomach contains an acid bath that works to break down food during digestion. Between the stomach and the esophagus is a ring of muscle called the lower esophageal sphincter (LES). Its job is to keep acid from backwashing into the esophagus, and it's the reason why people feel burning in the chest. Smoking weakens this ring of muscle. Since the tissue in the esophagus is not made to withstand a constant assault from corrosive acid, it can damage the cells lining the esophagus. In this way, smoking can lead to more dangerous conditions like gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and cancer of the esophagus.
Heartburn is produced when stomach acid flows backward into the esophagus; this reflux in healthy individuals is prevented by the action of the lower esophageal sphincter, which keeps the acid in the stomach. According to the National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse, smoking weakens the lower esophageal sphincter, leading to reflux and heartburn.   
Robert S. Kaufmann, MD

It has been found that smoking causes an increase of acid production in your stomach which basically makes you have reflux. Gastroesophageal reflux disease is basically overproduction of acid. Tobacco causes that to happen because it irritates the lining of the stomach.

Yes.  There is a link between smoking and heartburn for several reasons.   
1. Smoking causes inflammation in your esophagus which leads to heartburn, or can lead to heartburn.
2. Smoking increases your risk of cancer of the esophagus, often a first sign of this is heartburn.
3.  Smoking increases acid production in your stomach.
4.  Smoking increases arterial constriction, or inflammation in your blood vessels, which can lead to heart disease, or arterial disease of the heart, which leads to pain like heartburn.

Continue Learning about Impact Of Nicotine Addiction On The Body

Does smoking increase my risk of circulatory disorders?
Smoking increases your risk of circulation-related problems because the chemicals in cigarette s...
Does smoking increase my likelihood of experiencing dementia?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
One study showed that current smokers over age 65 were about four times more likely to experience di...
How Does Smoking Affect My Asthma?
How Does Smoking Affect My Asthma?
Under 40? Here's Another Reason to Quit Smoking Now