How do I improve my ice hockey endurance if I only play on the weekend?

Because ice hockey is a primarily anaerobic sport, you should use high-intensity interval training to improve your endurance if you only play on the weekend. Try adding two days per week of interval training into your routine (e.g. Monday and Wednesday). If you have access to a slide board it is ideal to use that to simulate the skating motion, but you can also use a treadmill to perform your interval training. Start by performing 30 seconds of high-intensity cardio where you become breathless followed by 90 seconds of rest. Repeat these intervals 6-12 times. As you achieve better cardiorespiratory condition, increase the work portion to 45 seconds while maintaining only 90 seconds of recovery.

Continue Learning about Hockey

How do I warm-up for hockey?
To warm-up for ice hockey, use a combination of foam rolling followed by dynamic stretching. Foa...
How do I strengthen my knees for hockey?
To improve knee strength and prevent injury it is important to improve proprioception, or the fe...
What are the best exercises to build strength for hockey players?
The best exercises to develop strength for hockey are large muscle group exercises like bench pr...
What is a good stretch for my inner thighs for ice hockey?
To stretch the inner thighs, or adductors, start by foam rolling the area for 30 seconds and the...