How is hepatitis diagnosed?

The first step in diagnosing hepatitis is to discuss and identify symptoms of liver inflammation. During the physical examination your doctor will feel your abdomen for tenderness, fluid buildup, and liver enlargement. They will also look for signs of jaundice in your skin and eyes. Blood tests are also used to check liver function. Your doctor may use an ultrasound machine to take a closer look at the liver and abdomen. In some cases, a needle is used to collect a small sample of liver tissue (liver biopsy) for further examination under a microscope.

Although the treatment for hepatitis B and hepatitis C is different, they are both diagnosed through blood tests.

Continue Learning about Hepatitis

What’s the Difference Between Hepatitis A, B and C?
Your liver, the largest organ in your body, plays an outsized role in keeping you healthy. It helps your body digest food, filters toxins, stores some...
How do I manage my hepatitis on a daily basis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Depending on the type of hepatitis, symptoms can subside after a few days, and complete recovery may...
The Hepatitis C Diet
The Hepatitis C DietThe Hepatitis C DietThe Hepatitis C DietThe Hepatitis C Diet
How to eat well and protect your health when you have hepatitis C.
What Health Issues Keep You Awake At Night?