How does hepatitis affect the body?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Hepatitis is inflammation of the liver. An inflamed liver can affect people in different ways, causing a loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting and fatigue. Hepatitis A rarely has long-term effects on the body. People with hepatitis A, B, or C may not have early symptoms. However, chronic hepatitis C is the more severe of the hepatitis viruses and a leading cause of liver cancer. Hepatitis can affect the liver's bile production, causing a buildup of yellow-green pigment in the bloodstream, which causes a yellowing of the skin and/or eyes.

Continue Learning about Hepatitis

How can I know if I have hepatitis?
Hepatitis can make you feel like you have the flu. You may experience the following symptoms:Feel ti...
What is autoimmune hepatitis?
Patricia Raymond, MDPatricia Raymond, MD
Autoimmune hepatitis is a confusing disorder with a treatment that is evolving; the good news is...
When do symptoms of viral hepatitis appear?
People with hepatitis A, B, and C may not show any symptoms or have only mild symptoms. Symptoms of ...
How do I manage my hepatitis on a daily basis?
Depending on the type of hepatitis, symptoms can subside after a few days, and complete recovery may...