How should I watch for swelling after heart surgery?

Check your legs and arms for swelling. It is normal to have a small amount of swelling in the leg(s), especially at night. To prevent and alleviate swelling, elevate your legs for about 20 to 30 minutes, three times a day.

Notify your surgeon if you notice swelling every day, in the morning or abnormal swelling of the ankles.

Continue Learning about Heart Surgeries

Is the heart stopped during heart valve replacement?
Yes; the valves of the heart open and close with each heartbeat, so the heart is stopped and a heart...
Why might I need bypass surgery if angioplasty and stents fail?
Steven S. Scott, MDSteven S. Scott, MD
Like any medical treatment, stents are not successful in all cases.  Balloon angioplasty and coronar...
What is transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR)?
St. Mark's HospitalSt. Mark's Hospital
Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) involves going through the femoral artery (groin) and ...
What Diet and Lifestyle Changes Do I Need to Make after Heart Surgery?