What causes pulsing in the vaginal area?

It's unclear what type of pulsing you are inquiring about.  There is definitely a pulsing of the muscles that surround the opening of the vagina at the time of orgasm.  Also, some women feels pulsing or tingling in their vagina when they get aroused, which is perfectly normal.   This happens because there is increased blood flow to the area and the muscles of the vaginal wall may have some minor contractions.  The vagina also has arteries that supply blood to the area, and it is possible in some women to feel their pulse in certain spots.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

My Pap Smear Was Abnormal. Should I Be Worried?
A Pap smear, a test that screens for cervical cancer, may not be the most dignified medical test for a woman—even peeing on a stick to see if you’re p...
How does surgery help treat polycystic ovary syndrome?
Dr. Mark Perloe, MDDr. Mark Perloe, MD
Ovarian drilling is a last resort to manage PCOS. This procedure is best performed during a laparosc...
12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing
12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing
Skipping annual appointments, self-treating symptoms and other gyno no-nos.
What Is the Recovery Time for Single-Site Robotic Hysterectomy?