Can I take glucosamine if I have diabetes?

Stacy Wiegman, PharmD
Pharmacy Specialist

If you have diabetes, you can take glucosamine supplements, but you should speak with your doctor before you do. There's been research suggesting that glucosamine, which is often taken for joint pain from arthritis, might raise blood sugar levels. Although more research is needed to find out if this is really the case, experts recommend that people with diabetes who take glucosamine monitor their blood sugar closely. The supplement can also interact with other medications such as warfarin (Coumadin) and diabetes drugs.

There is some debate about glucosamine’s affect on insulin resistance (which may contribute to increases in blood sugar in people with type 2 diabetes), and the possibility of medication interactions. If you have diabetes, or pre-diabetes, talk with your health care provider.

Continue Learning about Glucosamine

Can I take glucosamine supplements if I am allergic to shellfish?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
Glucosamine is derived from the shells of shellfish such as lobster, crabs, and shrimp, and there is...
Should I let my doctor know I am taking glucosamine?
Before taking glucosamine, you should talk with your healthcare provider to determine whether it is ...
Is glucosamine more effective than anti-inflammatory medication?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
In four key studies, glucosamine taken alone was shown to be as effective, or more so, than anti-inf...
What is glucosamine sulfate?
Glucosamine sulfate is a chemical that occurs naturally in the fluid surrounding joints in the b...