Can I eat spicy foods with acid reflux?

Several scientific studies looking at spicy food and acid reflux have been unable to prove that spices trigger changes in the sphincter pressure that leads to acid reflux from the stomach into the esophagus. If you are someone who suffers from gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) or acid reflux, there are foods that are known to increase discomfort, but spices are not proved to be among them.

It depends on your digestive system. There is no scientific evidence that spicy foods automatically trigger acid reflux. In fact, one study shows that giving up spicy foods had no effect on these symptoms. Try eating less of a food that you think is troublesome before giving it up altogether.

Continue Learning about GERD

7 Ways to Fight GERD
7 Ways to Fight GERD
Sometimes the signs of acid reflux are unmistakeable -- from searing heartburn to sour-tasting acid burbling up in your throat. Sometimes the signs ar...
Why does lying down make GERD worse?
When you lie down, your stomach changes position, so that there is more acid exposure on the valve s...
Can acid reflux lead to cancer?
Acid reflux can damage the esophagus, which can ultimately lead to cancer. Learn more on this topic ...
What Can I Do to Treat Acid Reflux?
What Can I Do to Treat Acid Reflux?