Can I eat spicy foods with acid reflux?

It depends on your digestive system. There is no scientific evidence that spicy foods automatically trigger acid reflux. In fact, one study shows that giving up spicy foods had no effect on these symptoms. Try eating less of a food that you think is troublesome before giving it up altogether.

Several scientific studies looking at spicy food and acid reflux have been unable to prove that spices trigger changes in the sphincter pressure that leads to acid reflux from the stomach into the esophagus. If you are someone who suffers from gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) or acid reflux, there are foods that are known to increase discomfort, but spices are not proved to be among them.

Continue Learning about GERD

7 Ways to Fight GERD
7 Ways to Fight GERD
Sometimes the signs of acid reflux are unmistakeable -- from searing heartburn to sour-tasting acid burbling up in your throat. Sometimes the signs ar...
What are the different kinds of surgery for acid reflux?
SwedishSwedish
Antireflux surgery can either be performed laparoscopically or via an open incision. Today the vast ...
Do GERD and heartburn affect children differently than adults?
Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and heartburn are common in children and sometimes may be ove...
What Can I Do to Restore My Body's Acid-Alkaline Balance?