Why is it important to cool down after exercise?

A cool-down provides the body with a smooth transition from exercise back to a steady state of rest.

The overarching goal of a cool-down is to reduce heart and breathing rates, gradually cool body temperature, return muscles to their optimal length-tension relationships, prevent venous pooling of blood in the lower extremities, which may cause dizziness or possible fainting, and restore physiologic systems close to baseline.

The proposed benefits of a cool-down are shown below:

•              Reduce heart and breathing rates

•              Gradually cool body temperature

•              Return muscles to their optimal length-tension relationships

•              Prevent venous pooling of blood in the lower extremities

•              Restore physiologic systems close to baseline

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

What is flexibility training?
What is flexibility training? Flexibility training involves low-intensity exercises that increase th...
What is functional flexibility?
What is functional flexibility? Functional flexibility is flexibility that utilizes a full range of ...
How do I do the shoulder internal-rotators stretch?
How do I do the shoulder internal-rotators stretch? Lie comfortably on your back close to the right ...
How often should I do flexibility exercises?
How often should I do flexibility exercises? You should do at least two to three sessions per week o...