How often should I do flexibility exercises?

You should engage in at least two to three sessions per week of balance and flexibility exercises, for a total of at least 60 minutes. Add these workouts to your cardio and strength-training sessions. Although there is no evidence that stretching before activities prevents injury, stretching before or afterward as part of a five- to 10-minute warm-up and cool-down does have health benefits.

Stretching should be performed a minimum of three days a week for 5-10 minutes at a time. For maximum effectiveness you can stretch 5-7 days per week. Perform 1-2 sets per muscle group. Focus on muscles that are particularly tight. Muscles that are most often tight include the calves, hamstrings, hip flexors, latissimus dorsi (large back muscle) and chest.

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

Are There Specific Stretches I Can Do to Prevent Hip Pain From Occurring?
To What Degree Do I Need to Exercise to Improve My Health?