What attitude do healthy people take toward fitness?

Healthy people view it as a lifestyle. It just doesn't end at the gym, or after a hike, or long walk. It continues in how you eat, how much sleep you get, etc. The people who are the most successful at this are the ones who found healthy lifestyles that work best with their needs and wants.

To add onto the previously stated point, it is important to know what works best for you. If you are going to start a fitness program or nutrition program that doesn't match you, then you it will not work in the long-run.

Focusing, on the process over product. Those people who maintain that healthy lifestyle over six months enjoy the process of being healthy: eating well, working out, and not the product. When you have picked a process that works well for you, you are less likely to cut corners and beat yourself up for not achieving your goals right away.

There really is no one golden answer because each person has different ideals and ambitions. But the most important thing to remember is that you can achieve your goals! You just have to think about what works best for you. And if you are not sure, then don't be opposed to trying new fitness regiments or nutrition plans.

Fitness requires positive attitude, and healthy people require fitness. Fitness is just like breakfast, needs to be a part of daily life. Without your health, what else do you have?
A positive attitude towards whatever the task at hand is improves your chance for success. If you spend your time dreading your workout and simply do the workout to get it over with you will not see the results you want. Healthy people who enjoy their fitness routines are more intense and focused and get results. Choose an activity you enjoy so you look forward to your workout. Healthy people know that a positive attitude towards fitness makes their life more enjoyable and makes it possible to live an active life.

In my experience, healthy people take the attitude that health and fitness is a lifestyle. They embrace the fact that fitness and good health are lifelong pursuits, not finite trends and fads. Healthy people understand that fitness takes dedication, hard work and sacrifice. But they also understand that the rewards and benefits are worth it. Healthy people usually enjoy the challenge of improving their fitness. Typically, they set goals, achieve them and proceed to set new ones. Your health, or lack thereof, is going to affect every aspect of your life from your happiness to your life-span to your checkbook.

I believe that one of the biggest differences between healthy people and those who aren't as healthy is perception. Healthy people are not immune to the stress, setback and trials and tribulations of life. They just choose to perceive and respond to their situations differently than others. They make fitness a priority and do what it takes to adhere to their program.

Another difference between healthy and unhealthy people is that the latter tend to participate in and focus on fitness only when it's convenient. This is a huge difference. There are going to be many, many times when working out is not convenient. You might have to bet up before work to get in a workout, that's just how it goes sometimes.

When you adopt the attitude that each workout is a mini challenge and that each one improves the health and wellness of your body little by little, you become motivated to make each workout better than the last. Speaking of motivation, healthy people usually are more intrinsically motivated. That's not to say that people who need more external motivation are out of luck; that is where a trainer comes in.

The moral of the story here is to change your attitude and perceptions. Doing so can change your life. Commit yourself to improving your life through health and fitness. Your reality today does not have to be your reality tomorrow...

Healthy people have a positive outlook on exercise and how it improves the overall quality of their life.  Healthy people understand the positive benefits of sensible nutrition, resistance training, and cardio respiratory exercise.  People with a positive outlook on fitness will focus on the benefits of working out rather than complain about the effort, time invested, sweat and fatigue, or the actual exercises themselves.  I am sure not every healthy person loves working out but prioritizes it and schedules it as a part of their weekly routine. Remember most of the major diseases facing Americans today could be prevented if we ate less and moved more. Ask yourself, would you rather schedule a workout or a visit with your physician.

Bottom line: Healthy people don’t think they should work out. Healthy people know they MUST work out and that is all the attitude you need to make fitness a habit and lead a healthier lifestyle.

Healthy people see exercise as an important component of their long term health rather than something that they need to do in the short term to lose weight.  Not every healthy person has started their journey with this attitude.  Many people begin an exercise program with a short term goal and learn after time to appreciate all of the benefits it brings to their lives.  This new attitude helps them maintain their fitness level after their goal has been reached.

Health people are always looking for ways to maintaing their healthy lifestyle and make plans and decisions that will help them feel, look, act, and perform to their peak potential. Maintaining your fitness levels allows for your body to be free of dis-ease, pain, and fatigue which will keep your thoughts clear, your focus sharp, and your energy for your job, family, and yourself at the highest levels possible.

Fitness is a lifestyle and your lifestyle is a series of your choices. Including fitness in that lifestyle is your decision. In order to commit, you need to find a reason WHY you want to improve your fitness levels. It is easy to go along with “the experts” and say it is for your health, to prevent disease, to live longer, to lose weight, to have a happier life, etc. However, these are not your personal reasons to improve your fitness. Fitness needs to have value in your life. Here are some simple questions you can ask yourself that will begin to develop the WHY behind your decision to a fitter you:

1. If I were in better shape, had more endurance, had less pain and/or sickness, what would I do differently with my time/life?
  2. If I did not have to think about how my body limits me by pain, injury, sickness, lack of energy, lack of confidence, what physical, professional or personal goals would I be able to accomplish?
  3. If I had more energy, felt better about myself, was happier every day, was more productive at work and home, and was not limited in the activities I could do, how would my time with family and friends be enhanced?
  4. How would my life change if I could look in the mirror and be proud of who I saw.
  5. Do I want to be a prisoner of my body crippled by my circumstances or do I want to utilize my body to live life as I choose, accomplish my dreams, and have the freedom to do what I want when I want?

Bottom line is: There is no way to teach someone how to commit to anything.

Commitment = Making a decision to act + having the discipline to follow through with your decision.

Commit to yourself, believe in yourself, do Fitness for your reasons and you will be successful. Take some time to sit down alone and ask yourself the above questions. You have the motivation, you have the time, you have what it takes.

Wendy Batts
Fitness
Let’s discuss this answer within the context of our attitudes toward exercise. I think often we look at workouts as just that: ”work”. Find any way to put some fun or meaning into your workouts. Folks that are fit will often see the immediate and long-term health benefits that come from exercise. This keeps them consistent over the long haul. Here are some suggestions that help you do the same…
  • Try a group exercise class: often exercising with others can be motivating in and of itself and before you know it, the workout is over
  • Seek out the help of a professional: they can make things fun
  • Relate workouts to recreational activities you enjoy doing: for example if you love golf then be sure your workouts improve your golf game (another reason to seek out the help of a professional)
  • Use workouts as the means to an end: remember how good you feel when they are completed, how much less stress you feel, the sense of accomplishment that comes with working out, few things motivate like instant gratification and there is definitely some to be had with a great workout

I believe that the attitude to stay consistent and strive for excellence in fitness is one common mindset for healthy people. I believe that this should be the attitude for non-healthy people wanting change for the better eventually. The more a positive attitude is practiced it will form healthy habits to make the impossible seem possible, and change one's life.

Healthy people maintain a positive attitude toward fitness and understand that regular exercise is the key to a longer, happier and healthier life. They make physical activity a priority and something they do everyday out of habit and necessity – like brushing their teeth, combing their hair, etc. While it can be common to spend certain times in their lives exercising more frequently than other times, healthy people always value the benefits they receive from exercise and keep coming back to activities they find enjoyable that help them maintain the lifestyle they desire.

Fitness is just a part of everyday life; it is like brushing teeth or any other daily activity. 
When you create your daily life in a way that working-out is what you do, it is no longer something to contemplate or talk your self into. The Nike slogan says, "just do it".

When we let our selves think about if we want to workout, that's we can talk our selves out of what we know is necessary. Some people find that exercising for fifteen minutes a few times a day is what works for them, others like to get it all in at one time.

Figure out what works for you and stick to it, you'll be happy you did.

Healthy people understand that being healthy is about “quality of life.”  Their sometimes intense, almost full-time experience with fitness is enormously rewarding and exciting. They are motivated for long-term, healthy lifestyle changes. They are usually passionate people with caring attitudes. They look at their health and wellness program in a very personalized and practical way to improve their health, increase fitness, and reduce stress. Healthy people also see the results of how working on their internal health improves greatly their external appearance.  They know that it is important that they assess their waist, posture, and diet.  Why?

Your waist measurement could be an indication of potential health risks and will help you set attainable goals. Assessing your current posture helps you understand how it affects the way you sit, stand, exercise, and sleep. Correcting your posture will help you exercise with proper form, prevent injuries, and live a more pain-free life. Taking a good look at your diet allows you to see where you can make small changes that could potentially improve your mood, energy levels, sleep cycle, and overall health.

This is a great question, and gave me an opportunity to think about it somewhat differently than I have in the past. So, thank-you for asking. 

I think the biggest thing for compliant exercisers, is we see the activities that we do as part of who we are. It’s not so much a “task” as it is part of our “personality.” It’s the way we describe ourselves. Part of our mental model. It’s part of what we see when we see ourselves. That’s why it is so important to choose activities that you enjoy and can become confident in. Now the trick is to begin shifting your own mental model. I’m certainly no expert in this field, so it will be interesting to hear what others have to say. My intuition tells me that I good starting point is to begin describing your self as someone who DOES. Maybe you are a “Somewhat Reluctant Morning Walker” or a “Freshman to Fitness” or a “ Recent Recruit to the Gym”. Start to reshape (pun intended) your mental image with a positive self-description.
Many people who have made the conscious effort to move towards health have struggled as much as those of you who are struggling right now. Although you may look at others who exercise and think it looks 'easy' and 'simple' for them, the movement towards health is really not easy and simple for anyone. We all have to battle with eating right and exercising each and everyday. We all have to figure out how to get motivated, stay motivated and push beyond the negativity. We all have to search for those activities that we are passionate about, realize we won't do the 'perfect' thing everyday because we are human and grab for something sweet on occasion.

Healthy people understand that there is a connection between eating right, exercise and being healthy. It partially comes down to what you value. If you value health then exercise and healthy eating are part of being healthy. 
Healthy people generally have a positive attitude toward fitness. It is viewed as a necessary and enjoyable part of a healthy lifestyle. Fitness is an integral part of life, something that is scheduled, prioritized and lived out.

Fitness should be any activity that you like to do; from walking to dancing, sailing to climbing mountains, flag football to horseback riding. Anything that suits your personality, gets you moving, and promotes good health is fitness.

There will be days when most of us, even healthy people, just don't feel like exercising. Don't let a bad attitude determine if you exercise or not. Decide to be fit not because of how you may feel, but because you choose to be healthy. You might just find that a positive attitude almost always follows exercise.

The benefits of fitness are numerous; good health, a sense of well-being, increased strength, better balance and flexibility, being able to finish a race, or just being able to keep up with your grandchildren, and so, so much more. These benefits are reason enough to have a positive attitude about fitness. 
The most rewarding view I have for fitness is for the future. I want to live to be 100 years old.  Fitness is my "nest egg".  When I reach my 60's and 70's, I want my fitness
"nest egg" to provide me comfort, stability, confidence and the strength both mentally and physically to carry me into my goal age of 100 years old.  Fitness is an investment that is worth more than gold.  You cannot buy or sell your own physical fitness.  You must achieve it to possess it and maintain it to keep it.  
Healthy people generally maintain positive attitudes toward fitness. They see it as an integral part of their lifestyle and typically schedule regular periods of time to undertake physical activities. Healthy people think about the positive benefits that fitness brings into their lives and how these benefits can improve their overall quality of life. Once fitness has become incorporated into the a person's life and instilled as a steadfast habit, the positive consequence provide enough motivation to not only continue pursuing current fitness activities but also branch out into new fitness dimensions. Often, the most difficult part is beginning this cycle and engendering the pursuit of life-long fitness.

Continue Learning about Fitness

Fitness

Fitness

Exercising for 30 minutes at least 5 days a week makes you look and feel better while reducing your risks for many chronic conditions. Physical activity boosts your immune system and mental sharpness, and helps you avoid obesity, ...

diabetes, cancer and heart problems.