How do I use the walking assist to move an injured or ill person?

1. To perform a walking assist, place the injured or ill person’s arm across your shoulders and hold it in place with one hand. 
  2. Support the person with your other hand around the person’s waist. In this way, your body acts as a crutch, supporting the person’s weight while you both walk. 
    [media id="PRD__4d88f4fc52a9e2_47015668" title="Walking Assist One Person"]
  3. A second responder, if present, can support the person in the same way on the other side. Do not use this assist if you suspect that the person has a head, neck or spinal injury.
American Red Cross, walking assist,  two rescuers, support weight, athlete  injured, off the field

Continue Learning about First Aid Risks

Should I tell EMS if I was in contact with body fluids while giving care?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
To prevent disease transmission, tell EMS personnel at the scene or your health care provider if y...
When can I give emergency care to a child or an infant without permission?
Diana K. Blythe, MDDiana K. Blythe, MD
A layperson can only give emergency care to a child or an infant if their parent gives permission, i...
What Is Asthma and How Is It Treated in the ER?
When Should Someone Go to the ER for an Asthma Attack?