What do I do if I don't get consent to receive emergency care?

Diana K. Blythe, MD
Pediatrics
If you do not receive consent to give emergency care, do not give the care. Adults have the right to refuse care for themselves or their children. Call 911, but do not give care.
Do not touch or give care to a conscious person who refuses it. If the person refuses care or withdraws consent at any time, step back and call for more advanced medical personnel.

Continue Learning about First Aid Risks

When can I give emergency care to a child or an infant without permission?
Diana K. Blythe, MDDiana K. Blythe, MD
A layperson can only give emergency care to a child or an infant if their parent gives permission, i...
What states have Good Samaritan laws?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Most states and the District of Columbia have Good Samaritan laws that protect people against ne...
How the American Red Cross Prepares for Disasters
When Should Someone Go to the ER for an Asthma Attack?