What are some common causes of choking in an adult?

If a conscious adult is choking, his or her airway has been blocked by a foreign object, such as a piece of food or a small toy; by swelling in the mouth or throat; or by fluids, such as vomit or blood.

Common causes of choking include:
  • Trying to swallow large pieces of poorly chewed food.
  • Drinking alcohol before or during meals. (Alcohol dulls the nerves that aid swallowing.)
  • Wearing dentures. (Dentures make it difficult to sense whether food is fully chewed before it is swallowed.)
  • Eating while talking excitedly or laughing, or eating too fast.
  • Walking, playing or running with food or objects in the mouth.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Choking

How do I give care to a conscious choking adult who can't breathe?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
AFTER CHECKING THE SCENE AND THE INJURED OR ILL PERSON, HAVE SOMEONE CALL 9-1-1 AND GET CONSENT....
What should I do if a choking infant becomes unconscious?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Carefully lower the infant to the ground, open the mouth and look for an object. If an object is s...
How can coughing help a choking child?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Coughing forcefully may dislodge whatever is partially blocking the airway. A child who is getting e...
How can coughing help someone who is choking?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Coughing forcefully may dislodge whatever is partially blocking the airway. A person who is gett...