What should I do if a choking child becomes unconscious?

• If a conscious choking child becomes unconscious, carefully lower the child to the ground, open the mouth and look for an object. 
  • If an object is seen, remove it with your finger. 
  • Open the person’s airway by tilting the head and try to give 2 rescue breaths.
  • If the chest does not clearly rise, begin the modified CPR technique used for an unconscious choking child.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Choking

How do I give chest compressions to an unconscious choking child?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Locate the correct hand position for chest compressions. Use the same technique that is used for...
How do I give rescue breaths to an unconscious choking child?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Give 2 rescue breaths. Tilt the head back, pinch the nose shut and seal your mouth over the chil...
How Does a Person Choke?
How Does a Person Choke?
What Should I Do If Someone Is Choking?
What Should I Do If Someone Is Choking?