How do I give abdominal thrusts to an adult who is choking?

• Stand or kneel behind the person and wrap your arms around his or her waist. 
  • Locate the navel with one or two fingers of one hand. Make a fist with the other hand and place the thumb side against the middle of the person’s abdomen, just above the navel and well below the lower tip of the breastbone. 
  • Grab your fist with your other hand and give quick, upward thrusts into the abdomen. 

American Red Cross,rescuer, perform Heimlich manuever, arms around victim waist, grasp fist with other hand, abdominal thrust, upward thrust

Continue Learning about First Aid For Choking

how do i help a person in a wheelchair who is choking ?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
For a choking person in a wheelchair, give abdominal thrusts only.
how do i give chest compressions to an unconscious choking child ?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Locate the correct hand position for chest compressions. Use the same technique that is used for...
how can i help an adult who is choking and has a fully blocked airway ?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
A conscious adult who has a completely blocked airway needs immediate care. Using more than on...
what should i teach my child to do if he is choking ?
Most important is probably to teach your child how to recognize true choking. Someone who is cho...