How do I give abdominal thrusts to an adult who is choking?

• Stand or kneel behind the person and wrap your arms around his or her waist. 
  • Locate the navel with one or two fingers of one hand. Make a fist with the other hand and place the thumb side against the middle of the person’s abdomen, just above the navel and well below the lower tip of the breastbone. 
  • Grab your fist with your other hand and give quick, upward thrusts into the abdomen. 

American Red Cross,rescuer, perform Heimlich manuever, arms around victim waist, grasp fist with other hand, abdominal thrust, upward thrust

Continue Learning about First Aid For Choking

What is the main cause of choking in children?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Food is responsible for most choking incidents in children. Small, non-food items such as safety...
What should I do if someone is choking?
If someone is choking, should  perform the Heimlich maneuver. Watch this video as Dr. Oz demonst...
How Does a Person Choke?
How Does a Person Choke?
What Should I Do If Someone Is Choking?
What Should I Do If Someone Is Choking?