What should I do if a choking adult becomes unconscious?

• If a conscious choking adult becomes unconscious, carefully lower the person to the ground, open the mouth and look for an object. 
  • If an object is seen, remove it with your finger. 
  • Open the person’s airway by tilting the head and try to give 2 rescue breaths.
  • If the chest does not clearly rise, begin the modified CPR technique used for an unconscious choking person.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Choking

Why are young children at high risk of choking on food?
Nina L. Shapiro, MDNina L. Shapiro, MD
Young children are at high risk of choking on food because the diameter of a young child’s airway is...
What are signs that an infant is choking?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
These include: Coughing, either forcefully or weakly An inability to cough, speak, cry or brea...
How Does a Person Choke?
How Does a Person Choke?
What Should I Do If Someone Is Choking?
What Should I Do If Someone Is Choking?