How do I give black blows to an adult who is choking?

• To give back blows, position yourself slightly behind the person. 
  • Provide support by placing one arm diagonally across the chest and bend the person forward at the waist until the upper airway is at least parallel to the ground. 
  • Firmly strike the person between the shoulder blades with the heel of your other hand.

American Red Cross, man choking, victim, rescuer, heel of hand, rescuer gives back blows, between shoulders

Continue Learning about First Aid For Choking

How can I tell if a person has a partially blocked airway?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
With a partially blocked airway, the person usually can breathe with some trouble. A person wi...
How common is choking on food in children?
Nina L. Shapiro, MDNina L. Shapiro, MD
Choking on food sends more than 10,000 children to emergency rooms each year. While most of these ch...
Why should an child who was choking be seen by a doctor after the event?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
A child who has choked and has been given back blows, abdominal thrusts or chest thrusts to clear th...
What can I do if rescue breaths do not give air to an unconscious adult?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Re-tilt the head, and try another rescue breath. If you still cannot get air into the adult, ass...