What should I do if a choking infant becomes unconscious?

• Carefully lower the infant to the ground, open the mouth and look for an object. 
  • If an object is seen, remove it with your little finger. Open the infant’s airway by retilting the head and try to give 2 rescue breaths. 
  • If the chest does not clearly rise, begin a modified CPR technique used for an unconscious choking infant.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Choking

How can I prevent my child from choking on food?
Nina L. Shapiro, MDNina L. Shapiro, MD
To prevent your child from choking on food, never allow him or her to eat unattended and only serve ...
How do I clear the airway of a large or pregnant person who is choking?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
If a conscious choking person is too big for you to reach around, is obviously pregnant or is kno...
What is the main cause of choking in children?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Food is responsible for most choking incidents in children. Small, non-food items such as safety...
What is the first aid treatment for choking?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
The following are the first aid treatment guidelines for choking: Send someone to call for medic...