How are balloons a choking hazard for small children?

Broken or un-inflated, balloons can choke or suffocate young children who try to swallow them.

More children have suffocated on non-inflated balloons and pieces of broken balloons than any other type of toy. 

Many parents are surprised to find out that a leading cause of childhood death is choking from balloons. The danger lies in the balloon taking the shape of the child’s windpipe or airway and not moving through as a solid object would. Children up through age 8 are at risk, so keep a close eye on those party balloons. Put uninflated or popped balloons far out of children’s reach. You may want to avoid latex rubber balloons altogether and use mylar balloons instead -- they won’t deflate or pop as easily as latex balloons, so they are less of a hazard.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about First Aid For Choking

What can I do if I start choking?
If you are concerned you are choking, attempt to take a breath, talk, or cough. If you are able ...
What are the signs of choking?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
The following are the signs of someone choking: Inability to speak, cough or breathe Very weak c...
How Does a Person Choke?
How Does a Person Choke?
What Should I Do If Someone Is Choking?
What Should I Do If Someone Is Choking?