How do I clear the airway of a large or pregnant person who is choking?

• If a conscious choking person is too big for you to reach around, is obviously pregnant or is known to be pregnant, give chest thrusts instead. Position your hands slightly higher for a pregnant woman. 
  • Chest thrusts for a conscious adult are like abdominal thrusts, except for the placement of your hands. 
  • For chest thrusts, place your fist against the center of the person’s breastbone. 
  • Then grab your fist with your other hand and give quick thrusts into the chest. 
American Red Cross, pregnant woman, modified Heimlich maneuver, arms under her armpits,chest thrusts, breast bone

Continue Learning about First Aid For Choking

How does a person choke?
A person chokes when food gets stuck in the trachea. Learn more in this video with Dr. Oz. 
How long should I give back blows and chest thrusts on a choking infant?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Continue giving sets of 5 back blows and 5 chest thrusts until the object is forced out; the inf...
How Does a Person Choke?
How Does a Person Choke?
What Should I Do If Someone Is Choking?
What Should I Do If Someone Is Choking?