How do I give abdominal thrusts to a child who is choking?

Stand or kneel behind the child and wrap your arms around his or her waist. 

Locate the navel with one or two fingers of one hand. Make a fist with the other hand and place the thumb side against the middle of the child’s abdomen, just above the navel and well below the lower tip of the breastbone.

Grab your fist with your other hand and give quick, upward thrusts into the abdomen.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Choking

What should I do if a choking adult becomes unconscious?
Learn more from our experts about what to do when a choking adult becomes unconscious.
What should I do if a choking child becomes unconscious?
If a choking child becomes unconscious, carefully lower the child to the ground, open the mouth and ...
How do I give black blows to an adult who is choking?
Learn more from our experts about how to give back blows to an adult who is choking.
What should I do if a choking infant becomes unconscious?
If a choking infant become unconscious, slowly lower them to the ground, open the mouth and look for...