How do I give abdominal thrusts to a child who is choking?

Stand or kneel behind the child and wrap your arms around his or her waist. 

Locate the navel with one or two fingers of one hand. Make a fist with the other hand and place the thumb side against the middle of the child’s abdomen, just above the navel and well below the lower tip of the breastbone.

Grab your fist with your other hand and give quick, upward thrusts into the abdomen.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Choking

How common is choking on food in children?
Nina L. Shapiro, MDNina L. Shapiro, MD
Choking on food sends more than 10,000 children to emergency rooms each year. While most of these ch...
How do I clear a blocked airway?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
The action to clear a blocked airway is an abdominal thrust, also called the Heimlich maneuver. ...
How Does a Person Choke?
How Does a Person Choke?
What Should I Do If Someone Is Choking?
What Should I Do If Someone Is Choking?