Olean is a brand name for olestra, a food additive that can help you lose weight. Olestra is a non-caloric fat substitute that is used in many low-fat foods and snacks. It is composed of sugar and oil, but the molecules are so large that your body does not absorb them. However, olestra interferes with the body's absorption of some vitamins; thus, many olestra-containing products have added extra fat-soluble vitamins like carotenoids.
- Q Is having a good amount of fat in my diet good or bad?
- Q What precautions do I need to take when eating fats?
- Q What is octacosanol?
- Q How can I identify and avoid bad fats?
- Q How do the different types of fatty acids differ from one another?
- Q What types of fats should I choose for a healthy diet?