Olean is a brand name for olestra, a food additive that can help you lose weight. Olestra is a non-caloric fat substitute that is used in many low-fat foods and snacks. It is composed of sugar and oil, but the molecules are so large that your body does not absorb them. However, olestra interferes with the body's absorption of some vitamins; thus, many olestra-containing products have added extra fat-soluble vitamins like carotenoids.
- Q Can conjugated linoleic acid cause an allergic reaction?
- Q What are the dangers of having too much fat in my blood?
- Q How much fat should I consume each day?
- Q What foods are good sources of fat?
- Q What are the healthy and unhealthy sources of fat in the diet?
- Q What are the health benefits of omega-5?