What is Olean?

Olean is a brand name for olestra, a food additive that can help you lose weight. Olestra is a non-caloric fat substitute that is used in many low-fat foods and snacks. It is composed of sugar and oil, but the molecules are so large that your body does not absorb them. Olestra was approved for use in the US by the FDA in 1996, but proved unpopular largely due to digestive effects associated with it (including cramping and diarrhea). Currently there are no major food manufacturers in the United States using olestra.

Continue Learning about Fats

All About YOU: Getting More Better-for-You Fats
Corn oil, margarine, steak . . . if these items make a regular appearance in your diet, you may need more "3s." That's omega-3s—found in foods like f...
What are the health benefits of omega-7?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
Omega-7, known as palmitoleic acid, may appear to have minor status in the world of monounsaturated ...
What are fatty acids?
Emilia KlappEmilia Klapp
Your body uses two fuels: glucose and fatty acids. Fatty acids differ from glucose in that they ...
Why Should My Child Eat Healthy Fats?
Why Should My Child Eat Healthy Fats?