What is Olean?

Olean is a brand name for olestra, a food additive that can help you lose weight. Olestra is a non-caloric fat substitute that is used in many low-fat foods and snacks. It is composed of sugar and oil, but the molecules are so large that your body does not absorb them. Olestra was approved for use in the US by the FDA in 1996, but proved unpopular largely due to digestive effects associated with it (including cramping and diarrhea). Currently there are no major food manufacturers in the United States using olestra.

Continue Learning about Fats

Trans Fat Means Trouble for Your Memory
Trans Fat Means Trouble for Your Memory
Can’t seem to remember where you set you keys? Constantly forgetting to pick up the dry-cleaning? Well put down the potato chips and step away from th...
What Types of Fats Should I Choose for a Healthy Diet?
Swap Regular Vegetable Oil for Canola Oil
What Are the Health Risks of Excessive Body Fat?