Can reducing only the fat content in my food help me in losing weight?

Jessica Crandall

It all comes down to how many calories you are consuming compared to how many calories you are burning. If you reduce only the fat content in your diet you may still be over consuming calories from carbohydrates and protein, which will not result in weight loss. Eating a well-balanced diet in the appropriate calorie range will help you to achieve your weight loss goals. A Registered Dietitian can help you figure out what an appropriate calorie range would be.

Ruth Frechman

Eating less of any food will cause you to lose weight. However, eating fewer foods with fat will spend up the process. Fat has 9 calories a gram verses protein and carbohydrates, which have 4 calories a gram or alcohol with 7 calories a gram. An easy way to cut out a lot of calories would be to eat carrot sticks instead of French fries. Another way to cut out fat calories would be to switch from drinking whole milk to fat-free milk with a savings of 80 calories a cup. If you drink two cups of milk a day, that's a savings of 160 calories a day. If you eat 150 calories less a day for a year, you can lose 15 pounds! That's a simple and painless way to lose weight.

Continue Learning about Fats and Weight Loss

Is Diet or Exercise More Important for Weight Loss?
Why Is Healthy Digestion Important?
Why Is Healthy Digestion Important?
How Can I Get My Digestion Back on Track?
Eating Healthy Fats and Fiber Can Cut How Much You Eat