What made me see bright wavy lines while using my computer?

You may be seeing bright wavy lines while using your computer due to floaters in your eyes. Floaters are tiny bits of debris that float around in the eye and are usually harmless. It is more common to see floaters when you are staring at something bright and light colored, like a computer screen (especially if the screen has a white background), if you are looking at a white wall in a brightly lit room, or if you go outside at noon and stare off into a cloudless sky. 
Your symptoms sound suspicious for an ophthalmic migraine (migraine without a headache). An ophthalmic migraine often includes zigzag lines, colored lights, or flashes of lights expanding to one side of your vision over 10 to 30 minutes. While what you described is not likely to be a sign of a more serious problem, you should consider scheduling an evaluation with your local eye doctor.

Continue Learning about Healthy Eye and Vision

Drinking Black Tea Can Help Reduce Your Glaucoma Risk
The health benefits of tea range from lowering stress to improving digestion to aiding sleep, and now you can add eye health to the growing list. Rese...
What are some basic facts about children's eye health?
Alison E. Smith, MDAlison E. Smith, MD
In this video, topics of adolescent eye health are discussed, including lazy eye, cataracts, and sit...
How should I care for my vision as I grow older?
American Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeSmartAmerican Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeSmart
Many eye diseases and disorders become more common as we age. Advances in ophthalmology allow most p...
Is It Harmful to My Eyes to Sit Close to the TV?