What are the disadvantages of hydrostatic weighting?

While hydrostatic weighing is the gold standard for body composition measurements, there are a few disadvantages.  First and foremost, it is expensive and requires a lot of space.  Additionally, subjects must completely submerge themselves underwater and expel all of the air in their lungs.  This might make the subject anxious or uncomfortable.

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

Why should I track my exercise progress?
Documenting your exercising routine is essential because it enables you to see progress. Learn more ...
How do I determine my fitness level?
How do I determine my fitness level? There are three exercise factors that reveal a lot about a pers...
What is the "talk test” and is it accurate to measure exercise intensity?
What is the "talk test” and is it accurate to measure exercise intensity? The talk test is one way t...
When should I progress in my exercise program?
When should I progress in my exercise program? Progression is inevitable if you are exercising corre...