There is no one single cure for seizures since seizures are caused by different things. Therefore the chance of a "cure" for seizures is dependent on what one suspects is the cause. For example, if seizures are due to alcohol or benzodiazepine withdrawal one can potentially cure their seizures by detoxing than abstaining from alcohol or benzodiazepines with a doctor’s supervision. If the seizure is caused by a meningioma or blood pushing down on or irritating the surface of the brain, then alleviation of those causes with surgery can potentially cure seizures. The prognosis for any individual's seizure disorder should be discussed on an individual level with their neurologist.
- Q How is epilepsy controlled?
- Q What is an epilepsy center?
- Q Are there alternative treatments for seizure disorders?
- Q How does surgery treat seizure disorders?
- Q What specialists are involved in epilepsy surgery?
- Q How are seizures in athletes treated?